Amarula cupcakes to put a smile on your face
When you’re feeling down or just have a bit of spring fever on your hands, whipping up a batch of cupcakes is a tried and tested solution. These cupcake recipes also have the added bonus of being coated in Amarula Cream so you can savour the sweet, creamy taste of Africa’s favourite liqueur.
Malva pudding cupcakes with Amarula mascarpone icing
The name itself is a delicious mouthful to match the magic taste of these cupcakes envisioned by blogger, Tea, Cake & Create.
Malva pudding cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1tbs melted butter
- 1tbs smooth apricot jam
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 tbs butter
- 2tbs sugar
- 3tbs water.
- Preheat oven to 180 ̊C.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake cases.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to cream together the sugar and egg. Then mix in the jam, butter and lemon juice/vinegar.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until their tops are just starting to turn golden.
- While cupcakes bake, make the sauce by melting all ingredients together in a small pot.
- Remove from oven and pour a little sauce over each cupcake while still hot.
Amarula mascarpone icing
- 250g mascarpone
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 30-40 ml Amarula Cream.
- Use a chilled bowl and an electric whisker to beat all the ingredients until they combine to reach piping consistency.
- Pipe icing onto the cooled cupcakes.
Amarula fudge cupcakes
Amarula fudge is a popular treat and now you can combine it with the wonder of a cupcake and the magic of a cup of tea. This recipe is by Lil Cupcake Monkey who first tasted Amarula Cream at the National Arts Festival and became an instant fan.
- 100g flour
- 100g sugar
- 100g butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 120 ml buttermilk
- 60 ml Amarula Cream
- 1 bar Amarula fudge.
Amarula buttercream frosting
- 100g butter
- 160g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp Amarula Cream.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whip the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add the baking powder and the vanilla extract and beat for one minute. Add the flour and the buttermilk and beat until combined. Add the Amarula Cream and mix it in. Break small pieces of Amarula fudge and fold it in the batter.
- Fill in the cupcake liners with 2/3 of the batter. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst baking, make the frosting by creaming the butter until pale and fluffy. Add half the icing sugar, then add the vanilla essence and Amarula Cream. Whip until smooth.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and whip until it reaches piping consistency.
- Once the cupcake tops are golden brown, take them out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Pipe icing out onto the cupcakes and sprinkle some fudge bits on the top to finish.
Amarula Cream is one of those things that is magical on its own, but it has to be said that when it becomes the star of cupcake perfection, it’s elevated to a whole new level of amazing. Happy baking!